Welcome to the Department of Social and Welfare Studies
ISV was founded January 1, 2006. The department has a staff of approximately 220 and 2000 students are enrolled in courses and programmes within the ISV.
The main focus in both teaching and research within ISV is directed towards issues related to the modern welfare state. The educational programmes offered at ISV are characterized by a close link between theory and practice. Another important feature is the use of student centered pedagogy. However, we do not only educate for the immediate need of the welfare state. We are also concerned about research that scrutinizes the structural transformations taking place in all modern welfare states. Hence, the governance of welfare state institutions is of crucial importance in both research and education within the Department of Social and Welfare Studies.
ISV is currently hosting five educational programmes consisting of both basic and advanced level (Bologna).
- Teacher training. For enquiries please contact Ragnhild Löfgren or Mia Thorell
- Nursing. For enquiries please contact heads of programme Margareta Bachrach-Lindström
- Occupational Therapy. For enquiries please contact head of programme Kristin Alfredsson Ågren
- Social Work. For enquiries please contact head of programme Marie Gustavsson
Social and Cultural Analysis. For enquiries please contact head of programme Mathias Martinsson
ISV has a Master's programme in Social and Welfare Studies.
- Master's programme in Social and Welfare Studies. For enquiries please contact Mathias Martinsson
ISV gives courses in this Master's programme (The Faculty of Health Science):
- Occupational Therapy/Public Health Sciences/Speech and Language Pathology/Medical Education/Nursing/Physiotherapy
ISV also contains a unit which provides training in communication and writing for students.
- Man-Technology-Society (MTS). For inquiries please contact head of study Maria Thunborg.
Research within ISV takes place in both formalized research schools and through a large number of individual research projects carried out by members of the ISV staff. The institutionalized research within ISV takes place within the following units.
- The Swedish National Graduate School in Science and Technology Education Research (FontD). For further information please contact Lars Björklund
- REMESO - Institute for Research on Migration Ethnicity and Society. For further information please contact Prof. Eva Rehnholm or Erik Berggren
- National Institute for the Study of Ageing and Later Life (NISAL). For further information please contact Prof. Elisabet Cedersund
- Pedagogical Work. For further information please contact Prof. Eva Reimers
- Social Work. For further information please contact Prof. Margareta Hydén
Technology and Science Education and Research (TESER). For further information please contact Lars Björklund
- Within the field of nursing science and occupational therapy different aspects of health/illness are studied. For further information please contact Prof. Helena Hemmingsson or Prof. Tiny Jaarsma
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to send your enquiries to email@example.com. We will do our best to answer your questions as swiftly as possible.
Last updated: 2012-11-06